Even though open enrollment ended 2/15/15 and was extended one more week due to technical challenges, HHS has now created one more opportunity to get into the healthcare marketplace fun for 2015.
Here is a direct announcement from our central planners.
For those who were unaware or didn’t understand the implications of the fee for not enrolling in coverage, CMS will provide consumers with an opportunity to purchase health insurance coverage from March 15 to April 30. If consumers do not purchase coverage for 2015 during this special enrollment period, they may have to pay a fee when they file their 2015 income taxes.
Those eligible for this special enrollment period live in states with a Federally-facilitated Marketplace and:
The special enrollment period announced today will begin on March 15, 2015 and end at 11:59 pm E.S.T. on April 30, 2015. If a consumer enrolls in coverage before the 15th of the month, coverage will be effective on the first day of the following month.
The Tax season just got a little brighter and a lot more busier for me.
If you would like to look at all the marketplace plans and view any subsidies available please visit www.elphelp.com
If you call the folks at healthcare.gov please give them my NPN number so I can continue to be your broker. There is no extra cost and I can help.
My NPN# is 1100910
I suggest you give me a call and we can do a 3 way call to the fine folks at healthcare.gov
It is amazing what you learn after doing a couple of hundred of these.
- Open enrollment starts 11/15/2014 with earliest effective date 1/1/2015 and will end 2/15/15.
- You can use a broker at no extra cost by applying through insurance carriers or Healthcare Marketplace.
- Subsidies are available to families up to 400% of the Federal Poverty Level (family of 4 =$94,200) and reduce monthly premiums.
- You have to purchase health insurance through a Healthcare Marketplace to receive subsidies.
- HSAs plans will still be offered in the Health Insurance Exchange.
- If your health premiums exceed 8 % of your income you are exempt from any penalties.
- Indian tribe members and Christian Sharing programs are exempt from any penalties under the law
- There will be no underwriting or preX exclusions on health plans within exchanges.
- Non-group plans or “individual health plans” are now guaranteed issued.
- If you have access to a group health plan that includes “essential benefits” you will NOT be eligible for subsidies unless your employee only rate exceeds 9.5% of your household income.